Monday, January 19, 2015

Papal Visit 2015: Definitely one for the books

January 18, 2015.

Yesterday was by far the biggest and most memorable moment of my life as a Roman Catholic. I saw Pope Francis in flesh and mind you, we were really just a few steps away from him. It was the most precious minute of my life. The mobile drove by us quite fast but honestly, I don't really care. To see the pope in person with an unblocked view was more than enough for me. I swear, after that moment, all the leg pains from hours of standing and waiting just to ensure a great view, were given justice. All the pains and physical tiredness were taken away after we saw him. It was indeed an "Unbelievable sight. Indescribable feeling." but in a totally different, better and bolder context than that of Jasmine's infatuation to Aladdin. I was truly mesmerized.

My only goal was to just hear the mass live. With millions of other Catholics swarming the place and with the commotion that occurred in Quirino Grandstand when gates were finally opened, I really thought seeing Pope was next to impossible. But I did! It happened. I saw him! Not only that, I also heard the mass live and was able to take a communion despite the very large crowd. It was really a good thing they have lay ministers on stand by outside the grandstand. God is good, all the time. Hallelujah! 

It rained the whole time we were waiting for the convoy. Hence, we really didn't have a choice but patiently stand there at Quirino Avenue the whole five (5) hours. Since our original plan included hearing the holy mass inside the Quirino Grandstand, bringing stools or waterproof sit-upon was not plan of our "Things to bring" list for the occasion. I didn't even remember to bring my waterproof iPhone case despite the weather advisory. I must say though, with how things turned out, risking my iPad to be rain-soaked was worth it. Our raincoats really came in handy. I managed to get a good shot of Pope's convoy yesterday. Please see low-res video below.






Another that could be considered a highlight of my whole Papal experience is that Mitch and I and our families were all together. It was the first time and I cannot be much happier that it all happened during this life-changing Papal visit.

A family that prays together, stays together. *bigsmile*

We decided to call it a day after our dinner at Cabalen. My parents and I went home with victory in our hearts. Today, as of writing, Pope is on his way back to Rome. I can't help but be overwhelmed by the fact that two of the most loved Popes visited the Philippines during my lifetime. What's even greater is that it happened again during the time that I am fully aware of the occasion's meaning and that I have the energy and the physical strength required to take part on this occasion and make all these holy experience possible for myself. 

Pope Francis was here not just in the Philippines but also in my heart and in the hearts of my other Catholic brothers and sisters. Needless to say but I'm sure that the prints he left with us will be etched forever in our hearts and in our souls. 

Viva el Papa, Papa Francisco!

To our Pope, the People's Pope, Pope Jorge Mario Bergoglio... From the bottom of my little heart, MARAMING SALAMAT PO!!! 



No comments: