Thursday, April 20, 2017

On loving my job

Here's something work-related for a change. See, my boss is Joe Zaldarriaga. He's the spokesperson of Meralco and the Head of Meralco's Corporate Communications - Public Information Office (PIO). He handles interviews about issues that involve the company.

After more than 8 years in the business center, I was able to transfer to Sir Joe's team. I now work as a Corporate Communications Associate since December of last year. Since I am already experienced in handling customer concerns, I always help him craft his statements during interviews. I do the necessary research and coordination and I often accompany him. That has been one of my major roles in the team.

I remember a few months ago, he mentioned that he will soon be assigning us some of his interviews, depending on what it is about. Of course, customer-related concern was assigned to me. True enough, the unimaginable happened.

Last April 17, I was interviewed via phonepatch for the first time. Luckily, it was just about a busted streetlight which took awhile to be repaired. Whew. It was nerve-wracking. I felt my fingers go numb while I was talking to Julius Babao. It was then that I realized that my boss's job is so much harder than I imagined it to be. One wrong word/statement can and may cause an impact on Meralco's image as a company.



April 17 Interview

April 20 Interview

Sir Joe said that my voice had a good register on air and contrary to how I think I sounded, he said I sounded friendly. He also said that I did good so I guess it's safe to assume that I did not say anything wrong during the interview because honestly, I was really panicking inside during the interview and I can't remember most of the things I said on air after so I really wasn't sure if I did well but since Sir Joe said that I did good then I just have to take his word for it. Gotta be used to this.

True it is that when you love your job, it loves you back. I'm excited and nervous all in one breath. *big smile*



No comments: