Monday, March 3, 2008

thoughts here and there: on Truth, Justice, and Politics

Back to work.

I'm doing this article about the difference of Just and Unjust Law, based on the words of Martin Luther King, Jr. The article was about Racism, how the Negroes and the Whites were segregated in Birmingham. In the article, Martin Luther King explained why they engaged in direct action rather than in negotiation. He also stressed in the article, Letter from Birmingham Jail, the feeling of hopelessness that provoked them to take direct actions.

Honestly, I found it quite dismaying to actually read about oppression and direct action again coz I'm pretty much saturated already with what's happening right now in the country. I see it on TV and read it on papers time and again. Darn it. What are the odds of me having a project that will require me to read and write about an issue that I no longer enjoy learning about?

So why am I blogging about this? I just can't help but to share that while reading the words of a noble man, I was unintentionally reminded of our very own Jun Lozada. Much like Martin Luther King, Jun Lozada was also being scrutinized right now for fighting against the powerful people in the country. Funny as it seems that the one who's telling the truth and devoting his life for changes sake is the one being scrutinized while the people who we should be considered as the culprits are busy on demanding for evidences (which the other party lacks) so as to protect each other or themselves, for this matter. Shempre, pag nga naman mabuko ang isa, buko na silang lahat, right.

I remembered what Jun Lozada said in one of his interviews. He said that the concept of justice here in the Philippines is very disappointing. Sad enough but I think I'd have to agree with him. Here in the Philippines, justice requires evidences such as documents to be able to go through the legal process, which I think is fair enough. However, the drawbacks of this is that what if a person is telling the truth but doesn't have enough concrete evidence, just his memory and the promise that he's telling the truth, which is not honored by the law unless backed up with tangible evidences. What if this happens? The sad fact is that the concept and even the system of justice here in our country is very limiting. It can suspend the truth. It can keep corruption freely running in the country and twist the truth and make whoever holds it suffer. Sad but true. No wonder why lots of vigilant organizations engages in direct action via demonstrations, rallies, and mobilizations.

Justice too long delayed is justice denied. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.


No comments: