Sunday, February 24, 2008

...on love and prejudice

I really can't recall any incident in my life where I received any form of special treatment from my maternal grandmother. It's really not that big a deal, though. Sure, we all have someone or some people in our lives who we find very special to us. Even our parents has their favorite child, they just don't let that show. But my grandmother's different. She has her favorite among us (her grandchildren) and no matter how much she denies it, it really shows. It was already proven for a lot of times. Proven and tested, ika nga. Oh well, what can we say? I guess that's life. Actions will always speak louder than words. Much a cliche but the measure of truth in it is undeniable.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm not writing about this because I'm bitter, envious, or jealous. It's really not that. Though I was, way way back but I guess I've learned to just let things go, especially those that's out of my control. So if I'm not the favorite apo, so be it. I'm perfectly fine with it now. Anyway, back to what I was really trying to say, I just find it so amazing how much my lola loves my cousin in spite of everything my cousin have done.

Nobody's perfect, yes. We all sin. We all have our lapses, shortcomings, failures. It all just differ to the extent of our mistakes, the consequences, and the regrets. At one point in our lives, we all have been the cause of other's pain, disappointment, anger, and the like - pretty much like my cousin to my lola. It may seem quite ironic, at least for me, because whenever I encounter the concept of "favorite-ing" someone, it's always the good persons who gets to be the favorite one. I'm not trying to say that my cousin's the bad/black sheep but if based on the extent of mistakes, maybe she is. But still, she's the favorite... the chosen one. And no matter how much she screwed up her life, my lola just kept on loving her. Saying bad things out of anger, only to end up hugging her. Isn't that amazing? Unconditional love.

That's love eh. When you love a person, you love them as a whole. You love every bit and inch of that person. You learn to love even the imperfections. And whatever s/he does, how bad she screws up, or how bad s/he makes you feel, you still love him/her. It won't change. There's no reason to love him/her less or to stop loving him/her at all.

-30-

No comments: